Celebrating Christmas With Bride In Ukraine: Top Tips
Since the recent popularity of not only single Ukrainian women, but the interest in Ukraine as the country itself, there are a lot of questions asked among people of other nationalities “What is the culture of Ukraine? How does Ukraine celebrate Christmas? Is it the same way we celebrate it here in America?” In this post, we prepared everything you need to know about Christmas traditions in Ukraine and the best way to spend Christmas in Ukraine with your Ukrainian bride.
Why are Ukrainian Christmas traditions different?
Ukraine lifestyle facts differ from other countries, especially America in many ways. And that includes Christmas as well. A lot may have always wondered when is Ukrainian Christmas and why its date differs from other countries and cultures. Well, let us shed some light on this. Ukrainian Christmas traditions go a long way to the times when Ukraine was a pageant country (by the way a lot of Ukraine Christmas traditions remain the same from those times).
Ukraine Christmas Day until 2017 was January the 7th, according to the long-go outdated Julian calendar, which is late by 13 days, compared to the usual Gregorian calendar. It was deeply illogical, so in 2017 Ukrainian parliament declared that from now on celebrating Christmas in Ukraine will be on December 25th, like in most countries in the world. Since then Ukrainian Christmas is celebrated twice – on January 7 and December 25. Some people have already transferred to the ‘new’ date, while others still prefer the old traditions.
You should ask your Ukrainian girlfriend what date she celebrates Christmas. Yet, despite the two dates, Ukrainian Christmas traditions remain unchanged on any of them.
Celebrating Christmas in Ukraine: main traditions and symbols
Traditional Ukrainian Christmas Eve is on January 6 – this is when the whole family gathers together around the fully set table. This Christmas Eve is rich in unusual and interesting activities, including food and a list of entertainments Ukrainian people do to celebrate their Christmas properly, according to their ancestors’ traditions.
Ukrainian Christmas food
The Ukrainian Christmas food is absolutely delicious and consists of 12 meals that symbolize 12 apostles. The main dishes on Christmas Eve are kutia and uzvar, and others can change depending on the preferences of the hostess:
- Kutya – wheat porridge with poppy seeds, nuts, raisins, honey or sugar
- Uzvar – compote made of dried fruits
- Varenyky – dumplings with different fillings, usually potatoes and fried cabbage
- Kolach – traditional ring-shaped pastry
- Fish with vegetables
- Mushroom soup
- Marinated mushrooms
- Pickled cabbage
Almost everyone follows the rule of 12 dishes and even puts coins on the four corners of the table to attract wealth. The main dish kutia is usually placed in the center of the table and is eaten first before all other meals.
Ukrainian Christmas decorations
The Ukrainian Christmas tree is usually set and decorated on December 19, the day of St. Nicholas, which brings a gift under the pillow to obedient children, and rods for naughty kids. Ukrainians love to decorate their tree with glass balls, chocolates, gingerbreads, and garlands.
Ukrainians have a lot of different Christmas symbols which they find very important and spiritual. For example, ‘didukh’, can be literally translated as ‘grandfather’s spirit’. It’s made from straw and wheat and symbolizes the spirit of ancestors, wealth, and prosperity. Another traditional Christmas decoration is a ‘spider’ which is usually made from straws. It symbolizes agriculture, wealth, and the structure of the universe.
Ukrainian Christmas carols have always been the center of world culture’s attention. One of the most famous Ukrainian Christmas songs is “Shchedryk” and it was spread and adapted to different languages all over the world. But the biggest popularity it gained in the US, where “Shchedryk” became the famous “Carol of the bells” in the English language but with the same rhythm and melody.
How To Spend Christmas With Your Bride?
A lot of top dating sites in Ukraine may already offer you the perfect Ukrainian mail order bride to spend your life with and share your love with. But did they suggest you a way to spend your cozy and happy Christmas together? Well, we’re here to help you out.
Ukrainian Christmas traditions to start as a couple
The best way to spend Christmas in Ukraine with your Ukrainian bride is, of course, to learn a lot about their traditions before spending it. But if you did your homework and are ready for any kind of celebration, maybe it’s time to start your own traditions besides the cultural ones. Read and memorize:
- Watch Christmas movies together. What can be better than romantic comedies and family movies watched on the winter holiday? We suggest you cuddle in a blanket for that, prepare a lot of snacks, maybe cocoa, and spend the most perfect time together.
- Do a lovely winter photo shoot. Photos are the best way to capture and memorize the moment. So offer your lady to do a photo shoot together! Prepare a couple’s look for both of you, collect the props, and take the pictures. We guarantee that this will become your favorite Christmas tradition together.
- Prepare Christmas dinner together. Of course, your Ukrainian lady would make a delicious dinner for Christmas, but why not help her with that? We assure you that she will highly appreciate the help and her heart will melt.
- Go to the theater. Christmas holidays are the best time to observe the most festive shows in the theater. We recommend the show with the Christmas theme. It will dive you into the Ukrainian Christmas atmosphere and charge you for the upcoming holidays.
- Make a good deed. What can be better than good deeds at Christmas time? There is no better feeling to help someone who needs that. You can feed the homeless animals, visit the shelter or simply go to the orphan house and give presents to those who don’t receive them on a regular basis.
No matter what type of tradition you choose – the main aim is to get closer with your bride and spend the most pleasant time in your life.
What kind of gifts to give your Ukrainian girl?
Ukrainian girls are not spoiled for presents but still, they’ll expect something nice from you. No matter what it is, you should always consider your lady’s preferences and desires. And if you still are completely out of any ideas, we made a list of presents to boost your imagination on what to give your ladylove on Christmas:
- Make her a playlist of the songs that remind you of her and you both. She’ll appreciate the gesture and always think of you when listening to it.
- Prepare a bouquet of her favorite flowers in the winter manner: add some Christmas tree branches with Christmas decorations. Be sure – she’ll love it.
- Buy something cozy for her apartment. It can be fluffy couch pillows, new tableware, or even holiday-printed tablecloths.
- Present a pajama and soft slippers. Make sure that the pajama is plush and warm and that the slippers are matching it. There can even be funny prints with deer or snowmen on them.
- Purchase some items from her favorite cosmetics brand. What can be a better gift for a girl at any time of the year? Choose whatever you might find needed for her and she’ll be happy.
- Get a bottle of nice perfume. If your woman loves perfumes, then maybe you should give her one. It’ll remind her of you and associate it with cozy holiday times.
- Gift candles and home fragrances. Scented candles and diffusers help create an atmosphere of comfort, romance, and peace. Girls love such things.
Even though we gave you the complete list of 7 present ideas, we still insist that the best way to pick the right present is to let her choose one. Suggest your Ukrainian girlfriend make a wishlist and follow it. In such a way, you’ll never lose.
How to celebrate when you can’t meet?
Coming to Ukraine is a great opportunity to get closer to your Ukrainian lady. But what to do when there are unpredictable circumstances that won’t let any of you go? We have a solution for this case:
- Choose the gift from the gift catalog on the online dating website you’re using. Usually, they offer a big amount of different kinds of presents for any taste. You just need to purchase one and it’ll be delivered to your bride in the shortest period of time.
- You can skype her and cook together online. Preparing the same dishes and serving your tables together will make you feel like you’re spending time together.
- Use one of the ways to watch the movie together. With the recent pandemics and world crises, it became very easy to spend some time together even when you’re thousands of kilometers away from each other.
- Order food and bouquet delivery to her house. Show her that you still care for her even when you’re far away. Order her favorite sushi or dessert, send her favorite bottle of wine, and don’t forget a card with some love notes.
Ukrainian Christmas traditions differ from the western cultures, especially American ones, very much. There are a lot of things that are hard to even comprehend for foreign people. But let us reassure you that once you dip into the rich and diverse Ukrainian culture, you won’t be able to let it go. Spending Christmas in Ukraine may be the most mesmerizing and interactive time in your life. So don’t lose your chance to do that and hurry up to find your significant other on the legitimate Ukrainian mail order bride sites.